Institutional Business at SEM
“Your goal as an investor should simply be to purchase, at a rational price, a part interest in an easily-understandable business whose earnings are virtually certain to be materially higher five, ten and twenty years from now. Over time, you will find only a few companies that meet these standards – so when you see one that qualifies, you should buy a meaningful amount of stock. You must also resist the temptation to stray from your guidelines: If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes. Put together a portfolio of companies whose aggregate earnings march upward over the years, and so also will the portfolio’s market value.”
– Warren Buffett
1996 Annual Report
At Suncoast Equity Management we have a long-term track record of investment success, which we have achieved by rigidly following a disciplined research process for over 25 years.
We follow a few core principles:
- Invest in businesses not stocks.
- Think like an owner.
- Buy businesses that have a demonstrated track record of growing earnings, year in and year out, over many different market cycles.
- Buy businesses that have “pristine” balance sheets with little or no debt.
- Buy businesses that have wide “economic moats” and competitive advantages over their peers.
- Buy businesses that consistently generate meaningful free cash flow.
- Only buy businesses that you understand.
“We believe Growth and Value are joined at the hip.”
– Donald Jowdy
Founder/Chief Investment Officer
Suncoast Equity Management, LLC
While we are absolutely “growth” investors, we employ many of the principles of some of the most successful “value” investors such as Benjamin Graham and the above quoted Warren Buffett. In so doing, we have been fortunate enough to achieve above average returns while taking, as we see it, below average risk through several different market environments.
It is our belief that this process is repeatable over the long term and we will not waiver from it.
- Q1 2022 Select Growth Fact Sheet
- Q1 2022 Dividend Growth Fact Sheet
- Q1 2022 Small to Mid Cap (SMID) Growth Fact Sheet